As I said in my last post, Indonesian street food is simply to die for!
Some of you may know about it as they are getting more popular in the UK especially Gado Gado which Jamie Oliver once provided the recipe on his show which I wouldn’t say it’s the most authentic but it is his version I guess.
But when you’re home, you eat! I will almost always have a list of things to do and places to try and eat but nothing beats street food! It’s awesome but since cleanliness is not the best here in Jakarta so for those of you planning to come to visit, I suggest you bring indigestion pills or medicine for diarrhea. This is not meant to put you off *trust me*, the food is worth it and it’s merely a precaution if you are not used to it.
Here’s a list of Indonesian Street food you must try:
- This one is called Kue Pancong (Kue = cake) – you will see this almost at every popular street.
2. Kue Ape…now this is my childhood. It’s like a crispy pancake on the edges and a thick one in the middle..similar to a fried egg. It comes in a multitude of colours but mainly green or white and is made with wheat flour.
3. Chicken noodles with Water spinach (Kangkung)
4. My absolute favourite dish ever! Sate Ayam with Lontong basically translates to Chicken satay and lontong is made from rice.
5. And finally, Soto ayam which is chicken soup with vermicelli noodles, vegetables, and prawn crackers.
….excuse me while I salivate for a bit here and head to Newcastle Chinatown to satisfy my cravings or to Chilli Padi.
p.s: I had a blog prior to www.whatsupcourtney.com called sazzlefox where I originally posted some of the pictures in case you were wondering about the watermark :).
I love reading your comments, they make my day! Love to hear from you if you want to ask me anything in particular or have a general chat or feedback. Thanks for visiting my blog, it’s highly appreciated! xx